Additional Key Markets
Engineered Bearing Assemblies
Steering Column Assemblies
Kilian has been involved in the design and manufacture of automotive steering column bearings for more than 25 years. Kilian has the technical engineering expertise and testing methods that are required to successfully design innovative solutions in this challenging application. Our unique strength is customizing a design solution that solves tough packaging or performance requirements. Kilian can design a unique, custom designs that include:
- Full-compliment, sealed radial bearings
- Cage-type, sealed, controlled clearance bearings
- Kilian "Split-Zero" zero-clearance ball or needle bearings
- Kilian "K-Flex" low TTR, high-misalignment applications
- Low-Cost thrust bearings for tilt-lock applications
- Over 90 years of experience in providing customized design solutions
- Over 25 years of experience making automotive steering column bearings
- Robust ISO/IATF 16949 Quality System
- Custom-designed materials, including steel and plastics, heat treatment, lubrication, and part geometry
- Durability testing to baseline design performance
- FEA analysis to accelerate and validate the development process
- Project management expertise
- Bearing design and manufacturing for vehicular steering column applications are particularly challenging due to the variety of functional specifications required for each application including tilt lock mechanisms and tilt and telescope actuators. Kilian bearings overcome many of these challenges with time-tested designs that provide excellent performance.
- Critical factors such as radial and axial stiffness, packaging requirements, durability, application misalignment requirements, TTR, internal clearances, and press fits are carefully examined in the design/development process and tested in the prototype stage.
- Proprietary lubrications, engineered plastics, custom race geometries, and electroplating are individually specified to satisfy each customer's unique performance requirements.