Additional Key Markets
VCS Series Disc Brake Caliper
The Twiflex VCS Mk3 disc brake caliper is comprised of two halves, or ‘modules’, and is designed for use with a minimum brake disc thickness of 20 mm. The modules are mounted each side of a central mounting plate the same thickness as the brake disc.
Each module consists of a spring pack to provide an overall clamping/braking force from 17kN to 62 kN. Minimum disc diameter is 500 mm.
Normally one or two calipers are used per disc, but the number may be increased depending on disc size. The brakes may be positioned at any angle around the periphery of the disc. A range of brake discs are available from Twiflex (see Disc and Hub Assemblies)
The Twiflex VCS-FL disc brake caliper is a development of the standard VCS Mk3 unit and comprises a single spring module bearing on one side of the brake disc and ‘reactive’ opposing half. This unique compact ‘floating’ brake configuration is typically used where space is limited or to accommodate excessive axial disc movement.
The floating range provides nominal braking forces from 35kN to 55 kN per brake. Minimum disc diameter is 500 mm.
As with the standard brake, normally one or two calipers are used per disc, but the number may be increased depending on disc size. The brakes may be positioned at any angle around the periphery of the disc, but should ideally be mounted horizontally (i.e., at the 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock position).
Braking force rating are based on fully bedded in and conditioned brake pads with a nominal friction coefficient µ = 0.4. Twiflex disc brakes must be used with Twiflex asbestos free brake pads.
Effective disc radius = actual radius (m) - 0.054m.
- Custom finishes and protection are available to suit the installed environment
- VCS-FL version is marinised as standard (EN plate and stainless steel fittings)
- Braking force from 17 kN to 62 kN
- Simple brake adjustment with standard tools
- Optional status monitoring
- Manual/mechanical retraction is possible, in the event of hydraulic system failure
- Standard and custom hydraulic power units (“HPU”s) are available (see Electro-Hydraulic Power Units)