Linear Motion. Optimized.
John B. Thomson Sr. invented the Ball Bushing® bearing and, in essence, anti-friction linear technology, over 75 years ago, and his company has continued to pioneer linear motion innovation ever since. Over the years, the Thomson product range has grown significantly to address the needs of motion designers.
Today, the Thomson brand is globally recognized and trusted as a leading producer of high-quality motion control technology, on-time delivery, controlled costs and reduced risk. Most, if not all, of the credit to the company’s success can be attributed to a long history of dedicated, persevering employees that work together toward a common goal of fulfilling the Thomson brand promise.
Learn more about Thomson, our history and breadth of linear motion products in our company overview brochure [PDF].
With a worldwide service and support infrastructure, Thomson field service engineers and support teams are available to assist whenever and wherever they are needed. This website also contains a wealth of resources, including product sizing and selection tools, downloadable 3D models, design tools, how-to videos, webinar recordings, product specifications and more.
Talk to us early in the design process to see how Thomson can help identify the optimal balance of performance, life, and cost for your next application. And call us or any of our 2000+ distribution partners around the world for fast delivery of replacement parts.
Did You Know Thomson…
- …integrated Nook Industries into its business in 2022? This Cleveland-based manufacturer of ball and roller screws, screw jacks and actuators expands the Thomson linear motion component portfolio to deliver an even broader set of customer solutions.
- …merged with Altra Industrial Motion in 2018 as a key business in the Automation & Specialty platform? As part of Altra, Thomson is even more equipped to provide complete system solutions through its control, drive, motor, power transmission and precision linear motion technologies.
- …introduced the first re-circulating ball screw on a 1955 Chevy? In addition to this groundbreaking innovation, we also developed a thread rolling process for manufacturing ball screws.
- …routinely customizes its products to meet customers’ exact application specifications? We understand that our standard products may not always match your needs, so our experienced engineers work closely with you to ensure your part selection is right the first time.
- …has been producing electric linear actuators for nearly 50 years? Our engineers have been dedicated to innovating this product line over the years, introducing the game-changing Electrak® family in 1982.
- …offers its customers more than 75 years of global application experience? The diverse range of industries that we serve includes packaging, factory automation, material handling, medical, mobile off-highway, clean energy, printing, automotive, machine tool, and aerospace and defense, and continues to grow.
- …received the General Motors “Supplier of the Year” award three years in a row? From 1995-1997, we were honored for our ball screw used in the automaker’s anti-lock brake system.
- …supports a portfolio of established and trusted brand names? To help offer customers an unprecedented choice of solutions for their applications, the Thomson brand incorporates BSA lead screws, Tollo precision linear actuators and linear slides, API Delevan electrical components, Harlowe resolvers, and Nook ball screws and screw jacks.